|To examine the indicators of engaged learning and to decide which indicators will be included in the participant's teaching strategies.
- To visit web sites that define "engaged learning"
- To examine and assess current personal teaching strategies
- To define a personal comfort level for adopting strategies that support engaged learning
|Teachers will chart a plan of indicators to embed in their online project developed during the course.
|To explore projects which include technology and the Internet and also support engaged learning.
||Examine projects such as:
- Kids@work: Math in the Cyberzone
- Scribes Online
- ThinkQuest entries from Hawai'i
- ECELL program - Hawai'i
- KIDLINK "Who Am I?" program
- "Hunt" projects in KIDLINK
- "Building Bridges" project in KIDLINK
|Teachers will identify components of online projects that support active and engaged learners. They will determine the kinds of strategies to implement in their classroom projects.
|To develop a management plan for using available computers and technology in the classroom or lab
- Identify available technologies and computers with Internet access.
- Make a tentative schedule of access to online computers for students
- List the ways students will send e-mail - online directly or uploading saved text.
|Project plan will be organized to include effective management procedures for the available computers and technologies such as scanners and digital cameras, etc.
|To design a technology enhanced curriculum-based project that supports engaged learning
- Identify a project topic from within the curriculum
- Describe project goals using Hawaii outcomes
- List performance indicators
- Identify indicators for engaged learning
- Decide on the best telecomputing model or models for the intended class
- Develop project timeline
- Develop activities and discussion questions for participants
- Find Internet resources on the WWW for the students to use
- Invite online participation of other schools or mentors if appropriate
- Provide for evaluation
|The final project will
- address learner outcomes from Hawaii performance standards
- include resources from the Internet
- incorporate indicators for engaged learning
|To bring the knowledge and skills learned in this course into the classroom
||To implement, assess and refine the project during the course of the 1999-2000 school year.
||Teachers will submit a portfolio of student work during the project and will attend a "wrap up" session at the end of the term.