Discussion on Multi-Lingual Use: Group 2
Laurie Williams, Recorder
On the heels of the ongoing discussion about multi-language use,
here are the minutes from Discussion Group 2's session on Multi-Lingual
issues on KIDLINK.
Multi-Lingual Meeting--Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; 8/12/96
Chairperson: Epi Sepulveda - Recorder: Laurie Williams
Members of the group felt that the meeting ran very much like we
felt KIDLINK should be in the area of Multi-Lingual participation.
- People met in one group, discussing in the language of their choice.
- Translation was available for those who needed it.
- TranTeam is currently translating existing documents. This process sometimes takes as much
as 2 week time to complete.
- New ideas to promote multi-lingual participation
- Requirements to achieve participation:
- Teacher and student message would need to be translated
- Projects that would be developed for multi-lingual
participation would need to be long in duration.
- The volume of messages and the amount of writing
needed to participate in the project shouldn't be very high.
- Model One:
- Instructions are given; classes work at their
location; reports and messages are translated and sent
to the list.
- STRENGTH: Students from different places can share
ideas and views.
- WEAKNESS: No real dialog or interaction takes place
- Model Two:
- Cooperative projects; students from different places
dialog in order to discuss a topic or complete a project.
- STRENGTH: A true "multi-lingual" dialog occurs.
- WEAKNESS: Translations would need to occur immediately.
- Provide a Special "Place" for Multi-lingual Dialog
- Use modern technology not currently in use, such as IPhone.
- Use the TranTeam as it currently exists, or redesign
- Create a "TranTeam RoundTable"
- Schools could use any resources they have available
for translating or call on the TranTeam.
- The TranTeam would provide support during a project
or provide a mentor for a student or class.
- A project starts, and schools from 2 or more
countries join in.
- A mentor would be designated to assist as needed.
- The TranTeam would NOT be responsible...TEACHERS in
the project would be.
- The KIDLINK IRC is a good place for multi-linugal dialog.
- Group 2 especially liked the idea of a "TranTeam RoundTable"
Search The Global Classroom
Patricia A. Weeg
Return to Global Classroom